- 1 1/2 Cups All purpose Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 Tblsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 Cup Warm Milk
- Vegetable Oil for frying
So you have busted your ass all week in the gym and now it’s time for a cheat meal!!! I remember eating these as a kid-my brother was the master sopapilla maker-his puffed to perfection and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream they are to DIE for.
Obviously this is NOT healthy. I am sure you could try to improve upon the ingredients with wheat flour etc. etc. BUT they still need to be fried in the oil-which would probably defeat the purpose. So invite some friends over so you don’t have any left overs!
1. Mix all dry Ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Next add in the butter (or shortening) as well as the warm milk. Mix ingredients quickly with a fork or by hand until it forms a mass. I find it easier to mix by hand just make sure they are clean 🙂
3. Transfer the dough onto a well-floured counter or board and knead the dough-it will take about 12-15 kneads and turns for the dough to lose its stickiness. You can leave on the counter and cover with a towel or put in a bowel and cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Let the dough stand for 10-15 minutes (now is a good time to put the vegetable oil on the stove and let it heat up).
4. Roll the dough out to about 1/8″ thickness and cut into rectangles.
5. Once the oil is heated drop the first sopapilla into the hot oil. Submerge the sopapilla under the oil. It should begin to puff immediately (sometimes they DON’T puff! Don’t worry they are still edible just not as pretty).
6. Turn the sopapilla to brown both sides (I use tongs but you can use a slotted spoon too) it’s about 2 min per side to cook. Then transfer onto a paper towel to get off the excess oil.
OPTIONAL-In a paper bag (I use a lunch sack) combine sugar and cinnamon-drop the sopapilla in the bag and give it a shake to coat the sopapilla entirely.
You can also leave them plain and eat with honey-but they are, in my opinion, the best with sugar and cinnamon.
THIS WILL MAKE APPROX 12 SOPAPILLAS